How can Physio help your mobility?
What is a mobility problem?
Mobility problems can occur whatever age or ability you are; ranging from a child to an athlete to an elderly person. Mobility is ability to move – this can be running, walking, moving a wheelchair or walking with aids like crutches or sticks. Your mobility may have deteriorated to some degree due an injury, fall, operation or a disease.
How can physio help mobility problems?
Physiotherapists can help to get you moving as safely, efficiently and confidently as possible. We will use a variety of techniques and walking aids to get you moving again. The aim is to help you regain your independence and move as quickly and with as little aid as possible – safely.
- First the physio will assess you moving and will be able to tell whether some of your muscles are weak, tight or not working as well.
- They will give you strengthening, flexibility and balancing exercises for the muscles and teach you the right pattern of moving again
- If the physio feels you could benefit from a walking aid they can help order you the right one and teach you how to use it – walking aids can help at times to prevent compensation or limp
- They will go with you outside and practice outside terrains and steps
- How you walk is known as ‘Gait’ – the physio will help you correct your gait
- They will also look at preventing future injury and falls.
Should you be concerned about how you’re moving and walking, contact us now help and get you going again – call 0207 884 0474
Written by Emma McCabe
Head of Orthopaedics