Falls Prevention Programmes
Why are Falls Prevention Programmes important?
Recent Evidence summarised by Age UK has shown that falls and fractures in people over 65 make up for over 4 million hospital bed days in England alone and the healthcare cost for fractures associated is approximately £2 billion per year. After a fall an older person has a 50% probability of having significantly reduced mobility and makes them feel more vulnerable and less independent. 1 in 10 people who fall become afraid to leave their homes in case they fall again.
A falls prevention programme tailored to the individual person can reduce falls by approximately 54%. The programme helps to address any hazards in the home, related medical problems and increase strength, mobility, flexibility, coordination and balance. Evidence states that a minimum of 50 hours of exercise over a period of time such as 6 months should be advised with the 50 hours being made up of 2-3 sessions a week with your physio and on your own with your family or carer.
Why choose our Falls Prevention Programme?
- We offer 3 different levels of programmes
- Tailored to the individual rather than a generalised programme
- Carried out in the individuals home or care home
- We work closely with carers and family members to ensure carry over of the exercises between physio sessions
- We progress the exercises to ensure continued improvement
- One to one sessions enable us to challenge you
- Practice of getting up from from the floor safely (as if had a fall)
What do our Falls Prevention Programme include?
We offer 3 types of programmes. All programmes include the following:
- Initial Appointment – a home hazard check and hazards removed, medical history taking, assessment of your flexibility, strength, coordination, balance and mobility. After the assessment you will be provided with a starting set of exercises tailored to your needs
- Exercise equipment kit – 3 exercise bands, balance cushion and exercise ball
- Exercise programme provided with pictures and videos available via our app – updated version provided after each follow up session
- Referral onto one of our Occupational Therapists if home adaptations required
- Report writing to your GP if medical related problems need to be addressed
- Follow up sessions (45 mins each) which aim to check and progress exercises as appropriate
Basic Programme – Initial Appointment and 5 follow ups over course of 6 months – £539.99 (inc.exercise kit)
Intermediate Programme – Initial Appointment and 10 follow ups over course of 6 months – £945.99 (inc. exercise kit)
Advanced Programme – Initial Appointment and 20 follow ups over course of 6 months – £1754.99 (inc. exercise kit)
Please get in touch for more information about our products and services.